Baked Spicy Honey Chicken Wings are sweet and spicy in every bite. The sweet and sticky honey glaze, added in the last 5 minutes, perfectly complements the bold spice mix and takes these wings to new heights
I am so grateful for your support of Karyl’s Kulinary Krusade. This post contains affiliate links. Should you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. Please note that there are no additional charges to you. My full Disclosure Policy is available HERE
I’ve always been a dark meat girl when it comes to chicken. I’ll occasionally eat chicken breast, but I hardly ever cook it at home because it gets dry so easily. And once it’s dry, it’s almost impossible to revive. Dark meat has a little more fat, but that fat runs through the chicken, like ribeye steak, providing more flavor and tenderness.
When I began the blog, I created main course dishes almost exclusively. I eventually added side dishes, and only started including appetizers about 2 years ago. Spinach and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms was my first appetizer, and a party favorite. Pimiento Cheese Deviled Eggs are a fun take on the party classic. And Pigs in an Everything Blanket takes the traditional up several notches.
Chicken wings are also high on my appetizer favorite list. For years, I always bought pre-seasoned wings at the grocery store, because I thought they would be difficult to make from scratch. Honestly, I never even knew until about a year ago that you could even buy raw wings at the grocery store. Yes, I realize that’s embarrassing to admit. Years ago I discovered a delicious recipe for spicy honey chicken. I made it a few times, loved it, and then completely forgot about it for years. Story of my life. So in the spirit of appetizers, I adapted the recipe to create Baked Spicy Honey Chicken Wings
Oh my goodness, these Baked Spicy Honey Chicken Wings are so delicious. As soon as I opened the oven, the gorgeous smells reminded me why I love these flavors so much. The honey tones down the kick of the spice seasoning, and that sticky honey glaze is absolutely mouthwatering.
KEYS TO THE PERFECT BAKED SPICY HONEY CHICKEN WINGS
- The seasoning mix is bold, but not overwhelming. Chili Powder, Paprika and black pepper add the kick of spice, and you can adjust that spice level to your liking. Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and Cumin add a wonderful depth of flavor
- The only oil needed is a little bit of Avocado Oil, and that is to help the seasoning stick to the chicken. Once seasoned, let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before baking
- The glaze is incredibly simple, with only honey and apple cider vinegar. I discovered Raw Honey a couple of years ago at a farmer’s market, and immediately fell in love. Regular honey tends to have an aftertaste, one you won’t notice until you try raw. You can find raw honey at most grocery stores, and the cost is comparable to store brands. Apple cider vinegar helps to thin out the honey, and adds an extra layer of flavor
BAKED CHICKEN WINGS? YES, BAKED CHICKEN WINGS
I always assumed that fried was the only option for chicken wings. However, thanks to Pinterest, I learned about baked wings. Less fat, fewer calories. Yes, it takes longer to cook, but I’ll wait for a healthier option. To ensure that the wings cook properly and still get that crisp exterior, place the wings on a Baking Rack on a foil-lined Baking Sheet. Also, make sure to space them out a little bit on the rack.
Do NOT add the honey glaze until the last 5 minutes of cooking, or the honey will burn. Cooked honey = good. Burnt honey = bad. Do NOT brush the honey glaze on the wings, or you’ll lose the gorgeous seasoning. And that’s the last thing you want to do. The wings will sizzle when you add the honey glaze, but that sizzle means flavor!
FINISHING TOUCHES FOR BAKED SPICY HONEY CHICKEN WINGS
I finish the Baked Spicy Honey Chicken Wings with one final drizzle of raw honey right before serving, because I love honey. This is an optional step, but it is glorious.
At restaurants, I always get blue cheese with my wings. At home, I used to make ranch with ranch dip mix. Then I created Coconut Milk Ranch Dressing, and absolutely fell in love. It tastes as good, if not better, than regular ranch, and you know exactly what’s in it.
For best results, I recommend eating Baked Spicy Honey Chicken Wings as quickly as possible. I let them rest about 2-3 minutes, but then I dive right in. Baked Spicy Honey Chicken Wings are great to make for a crowd, for lunch, or even just an afternoon snack.
SHOP THIS RECIPE
- 2 lbs raw chicken wings
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil or canola oil
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Heat oven to 385 degrees. Place a baking rack in a foil-lined baking sheet
- Trim off any excess pieces of skin from wings. Pat wings dry, and add to large bowl. Drizzle with oil, and turn to coat all pieces of chicken.
- Combine all dry spices in a bowl. Generously season chicken with spice mix, and let rest for 10 minutes
- Place wings on baking rack. Be sure to leave space between wings, so they cook properly. Place baking sheet in oven
- While wings cook, mix vinegar and honey in small bowl. You may want to heat mixture in microwave for about 10 seconds, to make honey easier to stir
- After 40 minutes, drizzle wings with honey and vinegar mixture. Do NOT use a brush, or you'll brush off the seasoning! Cook for another 5 minutes
- Remove wings from oven. Allow to rest for 2-3 minutes before serving