Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip will make you feel like you’re at the restaurant! The dip comes together in minutes, and is perfect as a dip, dressing, or sauce.
I am so grateful for your support of Karyl’s Kulinary Krusade. This post contains affiliate links. Should you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. Please note that there are no additional charges to you. My full Disclosure Policy is available HERE
Every time I do a blog post about Mexican restaurants or recipes, I always talk about how I very rarely ever ate Mexican food until I moved to Oklahoma. My parents didn’t cook Mexican recipes, and when we went out to eat it was mainly Asian, American and Italian. I ran into a lot of culture shocks when I moved to Oklahoma, and my friends’ love of both Mexican food and ranch dressing threw me for a loop. I quickly learned to love Mexican food, but still only eat ranch occasionally.
My friend Mary introduced me to Chuy’s Tex-Mex restaurant a couple of years ago. There are literally tons of Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants in Oklahoma and Texas, and Chuy’s is in my top 10. I took my parents to the Tulsa location a few years ago, and was so excited when my mom told me location opened near their house in Maryland. I haven’t been yet, but it’s on my list the next time I go back to visit.
Chuy’s has 10 signature sauces they make on a daily basis, and they make those sauces in small batches so they are super fresh. The sauces range from mild to medium to hot. I’ve tried a few, and they are all delicious, but my hands-down favorite is the Creamy Jalapeno. It’s so popular that even though it’s not listed on the menu, everyone knows about it. Because of it’s popularity you see a lot of copycat recipes online. So I decided to join in the fun, with Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip
When I knock a recipe out of the park, I dance around my kitchen. I did a serious dance after one bite of this Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip. My goodness, it is absolutely amazing. The dip is creamy, bursting with flavors, and gets better as it rests.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE PERFECT CHUY’S CREAMY JALAPENO DIP
Let’s be honest…Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip probably won’t win any healthy awards. But you know that when you go to a Mexican restaurant. And when you accept another basket of chips and a refill on the dip, well, that’s just a sacrifice you sometimes have to make. However, you can make a few small changes that will save some calories and not change the flavor.
- I use a combination of full-fat and lighter mayonnaise. Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayo is light, creamy, and has great flavor. Duke’s Real Mayonniase is my newest favorite find. I love the creamy texture and rich flavor. DO NOT use imitation mayo
- I use light sour cream, because that’s what I always have in the fridge. It tastes the same as regular, with half the calories
- On my first attempt, I used almond milk. It works, but the consistency is quite a bit thinner, and the dip kind of separates after it rests for a while. Buttermilk results in the perfect consistency, the dip stays nice and creamy, and the buttermilk adds a little bit of tang.
- Canned Chiles: I found both chopped and diced chiles in the Hispanic section of the grocery store. Either one is fine, and your real choice is mild, medium or hot
- I’ve seen recipes call for canned jalapenos. However, you can find fresh jalapenos in the grocery store almost all year long, so use fresh when you can get them. Remember, the serious heat comes from the ribs and seeds!
- I almost never buy ranch dressing, but I do keep Ranch Dip Mix in the pantry. The mix adds just the right flavors to the Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip. I have not tried to make the dip with ranch dressing, but have heard other people say that the consistency isn’t the same
Making Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip is so incredibly simple. Chop the garlic, dice the jalapenos, put all the ingredients into a food processor, and pulse until smooth. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
HOW TO ENJOY CHUY’S CREAMY JALAPENO DIP
- With tortilla chips, crackers, or veggies
- Dipping sauce for your favorite chicken wings. So good with my Old Bay Chicken Wings!
- Salad dressing
- Topping for fajitas, tacos, or my Steak Fajita Quesadillas
Last week I made a big batch of Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip and took it to April’s house for her to taste-test. The dip got a big thumbs-up, and she said everyone loved it on their chicken fajitas the next night.
Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip gets better as it sits and the flavors develop. I make it at least 30 minutes before serving. It can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. But let’s be honest, it probably won’t last that long!
SHOP THIS RECIPE
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise (do NOT use imitation!)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil mayo
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped chiles (mild or hot)
- 2 large jalapenos, chopped, seeded and deveined
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1oz packet dry ranch dip mix
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
Add all ingredients to a food processor, and pulse until smooth. Make at least 30 minutes before serving
Refrigerate leftovers immediately. Keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days. It probably won't last that long!