Chicken Chickpea Salad
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 cup raw chickpeas (I use dry)
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 avocados peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar (to drizzle at the end)
DRY CHICKPEAS:, Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, and pour over chickpeas. Soak for 4 hours. Place chickpeas and water in pressure cooker. Cook on medium heat for about 12 minutes. You want chickpeas to be soft, but still have a little bite. Drain chickpeas
CANNED CHICKPEAS: pour chickpeas into fine mesh colander to remove liquid. Rinse well with warm water, and allow to drain
In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, honey, garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon juice and hot sauce
Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces, and season with salt & pepper. Grill chicken over medium-high heat until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
In large bowl, combine chicken, chick peas, avocado, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Add vinaigrette and cilantro, and toss to combine. Add a little bit more black pepper, to taste
Portion into serving bowls. Drizzle 2 tsp of balsamic vinegar over each bowl. Serve immediately
Preparing dry chickpeas
You want your chickpeas to be tender, but still a little firm. Undercooked chickpeas are hard; overcooked chickpeas are mushy
- Chickpeas triple in size when they soak, so use a large bowl!
- Cold water soak: will take about 8 hours
- Hot water soak: will take about 4 hours (bring water to a boil, pour over chickpeas, and soak)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I store dry chickpeas? In an airtight container in the pantry.
How long do dry chickpeas last? Stored properly, they will last 2-3 years. I buy my chickpeas in smaller quantities from the bulk food section, so I’m constantly using fresher product
How long will Chicken Chickpea Salad last? Stored in the fridge in an airtight container, it will last for up to 5 days.
What is the best way to serve Chicken Chickpea Salad? I usually eat it immediately. You can also chill it for an hour, and serve it as a cold salad.
Calories: 538kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 750mg | Potassium: 1569mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 2465IU | Vitamin C: 80.5mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 4.6mg