This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
#TasteIt2BelieveIt #MorningStarFarms #CollectiveBias
Vegetarian Chorizo Taco Puff Pastry Bites will wow your guests. This delicious appetizer features MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles, finished with your favorite taco toppings. Easy to make, and ready in 20 minutes
My dad did a 30-day, Doctor-ordered vegetarian diet in 1993, due to high cholesterol…and never looked back. When I moved out in 1995, my mom joined him so they wouldn’t have to cook 2 meals every night. I was the rebel, and remained a hard-core carnivore. A few times my mom recommended that I try a vegetarian diet, but back then there were very few vegetarian options, and the stuff my dad cooked did not look appetizing at all. Vegetarian meals have come a long way since then. Many restaurants offer vegetarian and even vegan menus, and grocery stores have a wide selection of vegetarian and vegan options. Home cooks and chefs have gotten much more creative with their recipes as well.
One of the very first meatless frozen foods I tried was MorningStar Farms®, because my dad loved it. One bite, and I was sold. I used to only buy MorningStar Farms® products when my parents were coming to visit…now, I have it in my freezer at all times.
Many people are reducing their meat intake, for a variety of reasons. MorningStar Farms® products are perfect veggie cuisine meal solutions, and are the #1 veggie burger brand. They are delicious and flavorful, and readily available in the frozen foods section at Walmart.
I love that MorningStar Farms® has a wide variety of options, including Classics, Breakfast, Patties, Burgers, and Meal Starters. They’re not just for vegetarians…everyone can enjoy them!
MorningStar Farms® Chorizo Crumbles are the one of the newest products in the line. The crumbles are vegan, have 9 grams of plant-based protein, and are ready in about 10 minutes. I used the Chorizo Crumbles to create Vegetarian Chorizo Taco Puff Pastry Bites
Vegetarian Chorizo Taco Puff Pastry Bites are a perfect snack or appetizer. The chorizo crumbles are bold and flavorful, and the bites are easy to make and ready in about 20 minutes. Vegetarian Chorizo Taco Puff Pastry Bites will impress all of your guests, even those die-hard meat lovers
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGETARIAN CHORIZO TACO PUFF PASTRY BITES
- MorningStar Farms® Chorizo Crumbles – keep frozen until ready to add to skillet
- Puff pastry sheets (thawed from frozen)
- Egg (for egg wash – you can use egg substitute, if you prefer)
- GARNISH: red onion, grape tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, spring onion, queso fresco, hot sauce
I originally planned to add taco seasoning to these Vegetarian Chorizo Taco Puff Pastry Bites, but the Chorizo Crumbles are so well seasoned, you don’t need anything extra. The Chorizo Crumbles are a little spicy, and may be too spicy for kids. But for anyone who likes bold flavor, they will love it.
EASY STEPS FOR THE PERFECT VEGETARIAN CHORIZO TACO PUFF PASTRY BITES
- Thaw puff pastry sheets – the sheets will thaw on the counter in about 40 minutes.
- Cut puff pastry sheets – One sheet has 3 strips. I cut each strip into 3, for 9 total squares
- Cook Chorizo Crumbles – add contents of bag to large skillet–remember, they need to be frozen! Add 1/3 cup water and cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Reduce to medium, cook for 4 more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes
- Add Chorizo Crumbles to puff pastry
- Brush egg wash along puff pastry edges – I use a pastry brush, and lightly brush the edges
- Bake in 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes, until puff pastry is golden
NOTE: You have 2 options when adding the chorizo crumbles to the puff pastry. The only difference is in terms of presentation, and the choice is yours. Honestly, your guests will eat them so fast it really doesn’t matter!
- OPTION 1: add 1 Tablespoon of crumbles per piece of puff pastry, and bake. The crumbles will settle into the puff pastry, so it doesn’t look as pretty
- OPTION 2: add 1/2 Tablespoon of crumbles per piece, and bake for 8 minutes. Add remaining crumbles, and bake for 2 minutes. This results in a prettier presentation
HOW TO GARNISH VEGETARIAN CHORIZO TACO PUFF PASTRY BITES
Yes, you could certainly eat Vegetarian Chorizo Taco Puff Pastry Bites just like this, straight out of the oven. And I have done that. But then you’ve lost the fun of the taco! If you’re making these for a crowd, let your guests add their favorite garnishes, so they can make each Vegetarian Chorizo Taco Puff Pastry Bites their own.
I recommend making Vegetarian Chorizo Taco Puff Pastry Bites immediately before serving.
I made these Vegetarian Chorizo Taco Puff Pastry Bites this weekend for our weekly football game watch party at April’s house. They were a hit! April recommended a little hot sauce, and she was so right. The garnishes are all cool, so it tempers the spice of the chorizo crumbles. Hot sauce adds the perfect kick to finish Vegetarian Chorizo Taco Puff Pastry Bites.
Don’t forget to pick up MorningStar Farms® Chorizo Crumbles in the frozen foods section at Walmart!
- 13.5 oz MorningStar Farms® Vegetarian Chorizo Crumbles (keep frozen till ready to use)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 puff pastry sheets, thawed (40 minutes on counter)
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- red onion, diced
- avocado, diced
- grape tomatoes, quartered
- fresh cilantro, minced
- spring onion, diced
- queso fresco, crumbled
- hot sauce of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Open puff pastry sheets and lay on flat surface. If needed, sprinkle a little flour on the surface before laying pastry sheets. Using a pizza cutter, cut each sheet into 9 squares. You will have 18 total squares from 2 sheets
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, and place puff pastry squares on paper. Be sure to leave a little bit of space between each square
- PREPARE CHORIZO CRUMBLES: In a large skillet, add frozen crumbles and 1/3 cup of water. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, stir, and cook for 4 more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes
- Place 1 Tablespoon of chorizo crumbles in the center of each puff pastry square, being careful to leave a little space around the edges
- Whisk egg and water together briskly in small bowl. Use a pastry brush to brush the edges of each puff pastry square
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven
- Garnish with your favorite toppings. Serve immediately