Green Giant Veggie Spirals make it simple to eat both healthy and delicious! Thai Peanut Chicken with Carrot Spirals is full of nutrition and protein to keep you satisfied for hours.
This post was sponsored by Green Giant as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
I grew up a very active and athletic kid. I was in the pool since before I could walk; started playing basketball in 5th grade because the coach asked me to and he was one of my favorite teachers; and played field hockey through high school. But running? I wanted no part of that. You know in high school when you have to take the running test at the start of each semester in gym class? The required time was 20 minutes…my friends and I finished in about 18, only because we didn’t want to have to do again the next day. We could all go twice as fast because we all played sports, but we saw no reason to run unless absolutely necessary.
I ran off and on in my 20’s and 30’s, mainly because I knew it would keep me in pretty good shape. But I still wasn’t a fan. Then in 2011 I ran my first 5k race…and had to walk half of it. In 2012 I added a 10k. Then in 2013 I decided to take a huge leap and run the OKC Memorial Half Marathon. I’ve run it every year since, and have even run a couple of others in between.
Running is, of course, a huge part of training. Nutrition is just as important. In 2013 I went hard core with my training, ran the whole race, and was hooked. I haven’t been quite as dedicated since, and yes, I definitely tell a difference.
Everyone who knows me knows that I love starchy carbs. And yes, I do use training as an excuse to eat more of them! And yes, those extra carbs really do help. I’m currently training for the 2018 race and I’m always on the lookout for better ways to fuel my body. So I was very excited to discover the NEW Green Giant Veggie Spirals
GREEN GIANT VEGGIE SPIRALS
Green Giant Veggie Spirals are available in Carrot, Zucchini, Sweet Potato and Beet. They are gluten free and a great swap for traditional pasta.
I decided to try the carrot spirals first, and created Thai Peanut Chicken with Carrot Spirals
Man, I hit a home run with Thai Peanut Chicken with Carrot Spirals! Bold flavors, wonderful combination of textures, and just enough spice to wake up my taste buds. I laugh at people who say that veggie noodles “taste just like pasta”, because they don’t. And they shouldn’t, because they are completely different foods. However, I don’t miss the pasta at all with Thai Peanut Chicken with Carrot Spirals.
One of my favorite things about Thai Peanut Chicken with Carrot Spirals is that I can eat without guilt. Green Giant Carrot Spirals are 100 vegetable, with 85% fewer calories than pasta and 7g of carbs per serving. Each package of veggie spirals has 4 servings, but if you decide to eat more, it won’t hurt your waistline. With the added protein of chicken and peanut butter, this dish satisfies me for hours.
HOW TO PREPARE GREEN GIANT VEGGIE SPIRALS
Green Giant Veggie Spirals are really easy to prepare as well. You can steam them in the package, saute them or boil them. These vegetables release a lot of water when they steam, so you will need to drain them before serving. But that’s it, and they are ready to go! The spirals come with no sauce or seasoning, so you can be as creative as you want.
TIPS FOR PERFECT THAI PEANUT CHICKEN WITH CARROT SPIRALS
Thai Peanut Chicken with Carrot Spirals comes together in under 20 minutes, making it perfect for lunch or a light dinner. I saute a combination of onion, asparagus and red bell pepper to mix with the chicken, but you can use your favorite vegetables. I’m not a huge fan of heavy sauces, so I make my own peanut sauce so I control what goes into it. To me, the peanut sauce weighs down the carrot spirals, so I drizzle just a small amount on them, and add the rest to the chicken mixture.
Since I’m cooking for one I always end up with lots of leftover Green Giant Veggie Spirals. But I’m not complaining, because that’s just more new recipes for me to create! I will definitely be incorporating Thai Peanut Chicken with Carrot Spirals into my regular nutrition training regimen as I continue to prepare for the half marathon.
For additional product information, delicious recipe ideas and more, visit Green Giant Veggie Spirals! You will love this New Take on Noodles!!
- 1 package Green Giant carrot veggie spirals
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 16 spears asparagus, sliced into 1" pieces
- cocktail peanuts
- spring onions, sliced
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, ground chili with fried garlic, ginger and garlic in a medium bowl. Combine well. Taste, and adjust for desired consistency and heat. Set aside
- Add peanuts to large skillet and toast over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Remove peanuts from heat into small bowl. When cool enough, add peanuts to small plastic sandwich bag, and crush peanuts. Set aside
- In same large skillet, melt 1/2 Tablespoon butter over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and saute for about 8 minutes, tossing occasionally, until no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside. You may need to cook chicken in 2 batches.
- While chicken cooks, prepare carrot spirals according to package directions. NOTE: carrots will release a lot of water, so make sure to drain them well once they are done
- Melt remaining butter in skillet. Add onions and a pinch of salt, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden. Add asparagus and bell peppers, turn heat to medium-high, and saute for about 5 minutes, until tender-crisp. Add chicken back to skillet. Turn heat to medium low, add 3/4 of the peanut sauce, and combine well.
- Add the rest of the peanut sauce to the carrot noodles, and portion into bowls. Top with chicken & vegetable mixture, and finish with peanuts, cilantro and spring onions