Crispy Chicken Fajita Wrap combines all of the delicious flavors of chicken fajitas in a tortilla. The homemade seasoning mix is simple and full of bold flavors, and the wrap is finished in a grill pan for an extra crunch
This recipe was featured in Stillwater Living Magazine
I very rarely, if ever, ate Mexican food growing up. We lived in a very culturally diverse city, with ethnic restaurants everywhere, but Mexican restaurants were never our choice. Now it’s one of my go-to options.
I also refused to eat avocados until after I moved to Oklahoma. I’m not sure why, but it was probably the texture. But once I got a taste of guacamole I was hooked, and now I eat avocado nearly every day.
When I try a new Mexican restaurant I always get fajitas…I figure if they can do those right, then everything else will be delicious. And let’s face it, the best sound and smell is the sizzling meat and vegetables as they come to your table.
While I love fajitas, they can sometimes be messy. So I created Crispy Chicken Fajita Wrap
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- They’re great to make ahead and freezer-friendly
- You can easily swap out the chicken for another protein
- They’re easy to make and ready in under 30 minutes
This Crispy Chicken Fajita Wrap is so delicious! It combines all of the wonderful flavors of fajitas, and it’s perfect for an on-the-go meal.
INGREDIENT TIPS FOR CRISPY CHICKEN FAJITA WRAP
Make your own fajita seasoning! It’s super easy to make in about 2 minutes and uses spices you probably already have in your pantry. This way you know exactly what’s in it, and can always have it on hand.
I use chicken thighs because I’ve always been a dark meat chicken girl. But of course, you can use chicken breast if you prefer.
You can’t have fajitas without peppers and onions, and Crispy Chicken Fajita Wrap is no different. You can use your choice of pepper colors. I prefer yellow onion for this recipe, but you can use red onion.
I love the addition of creamy avocado, as another layer of flavor and texture. I typically just use diced avocado because I always have it on hand. But if I happen to have guacamole I’ll use that instead.
TIPS FOR WRAPPING THE CRISPY CHICKEN FAJITA WRAP
Yes, wrapping was the hardest part of the process for me. And yes, after numerous failed attempts, I followed an online video to get it right. Nope, no shame in my game!
Use an XL Flour Tortilla (burrito size). To make it more pliable, place the tortilla between 2 paper towels and warm it in the microwave for 5-7 seconds.
Don’t overfill the tortilla, or it will be harder to roll and will likely burst. I use 1/4 – 1/3 cup of filling per tortilla.
Wrap the tortilla snugly so the filling doesn’t spill out.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Combine all ingredients for fajita seasoning mix and set aside.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add onions and salt, and cook for 10 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook, tossing occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Remove mixture and set aside. Melt remaining butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add diced chicken, turn heat to medium-high, and cook for about 7 minutes.
Return pepper and onion mixture to the skillet and combine with chicken. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of fajita seasoning.
Place tortillas between 2 damp paper towels, and microwave for 5-7 seconds.
Place tortilla on a flat surface. Add 1/4-1/3 cup of filling to the bottom third of the tortilla. Top with diced avocado.
Fold sides of the tortilla towards the middle.
fold the bottom of the tortilla up and over the filling.
Continue rolling from the bottom, and folding in the sides, until the tortilla is fully wrapped.
FINISHING THE CRISPY CHICKEN FAJITA WRAP
Yes, you can eat the Crispy Chicken Fajita Wrap as-is, but then you don’t get the crispy part or the beautiful grill marks.
Heat a Grill Pan over medium-high heat, spray with cooking spray, and place the Crispy Chicken Fajita Wrap seam-side up in the grill pan.
Place a flat pot cover on top, press down lightly, and cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
I love making Crispy Chicken Fajita Wraps crispy because it adds another layer of texture, and a nice crunch in every bite. I use chicken, but I’ll definitely mix it up with steak, shrimp, or even just loads of veggies.
MORE DELICIOUS CHICKEN RECIPES
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Dirty Rice Chicken Skillet
- Grilled Thai Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Chickpea Salad
- Peppery Parmesan Grilled Chicken Orzo
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? COMMENT AND RATE BELOW, THEN TAKE A PICTURE AND TAG ME ON FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM: @KARYLSKULINARYKRUSADE
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM AND PINTEREST FOR MORE RECIPES!
- 2 extra large flour tortillas
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, diced into 3/4" pieces
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
FAJITA SEASONING (makes 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh-cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup light sour cream, for garnish
- Combine all seasonings for fajita seasoning mix and set aside.
- Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt and cook, tossing occasionally, for 10 minutes until onions are golden. Add bell peppers and cook, tossing occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove mixture and set aside
- Melt remaining butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, turn heat to medium-high and cook, tossing occasionally, for about 7 minutes until chicken is just cooked through. Return the veggie mixture to skillet, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of fajita seasoning, and mix together well.
- WARM THE TORTILLAS SO THEY ARE MORE PLIABLE: place tortillas between 2 damp paper towels, and microwave for about 10 seconds
- Lay tortilla on a flat surface. Add about 1/4 cup of fajita mixture to the tortilla, top with diced avocado, and roll the wrap (see below)
- Heat a grill pan to medium and place the wrap seam-side down. Press down slightly, and cover with a pot cover. Cook for 3 minutes per side, until you get the golden brown grill marks
- Remove wrap from grill pan, and cut in half. Serve with additional avocado/guacamole and/or sour cream, if desired
HOW TO ROLL THE WRAP
- Make sure the filling is at the bottom third of the wrap. Don't overfill, or it won't roll properly. Top with diced avocado, plus shredded cheese, if desired.
- Fold in sides of tortilla that line up with filling. Roll tortilla from the end closest to you, and roll over the filling. You may have to push escaping filling under the roll
- Continue to roll tightly, pulling the tortilla slightly towards you as you roll, until the wrap is sealed
- The ingredients make 1/2 cup, but you only need about 1 1/2 teaspoons for this dish
- Store the rest in an airtight container in your pantry
MAKE AHEAD INSTRUCTIONS
- You can prepare the filling up to 2 days ahead, and store the filling in an airtight container in the fridge
- Allow the filling to return to room temperature, and then fill the tortillas as normal
- Roll the wraps, and then wrap them individually in aluminum foil
- Store in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag
TO REHEAT FROZEN WRAPS
- Take the wrap from the freezer and remove the aluminum foil
- Wrap the Crispy Chicken Fajita Wrap in a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for about 4 minutes, turning once halfway through
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 888Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 2541mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 16gSugar: 8gProtein: 49g
Nutrient values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product availability and food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients, etc