Bacon Fig Gorgonzola Pizza. A mouthwatering, savory pizza that is sure to satisfy. Thick-cut bacon, tart gorgonzola, rich fig spread, golden onions and spinach combine on top of Naan bread for the perfect lunch
I am so grateful for your support of Karyl’s Kulinary Krusade. This post contains affiliate links. Should you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. Please note that there are no additional charges to you. My full Disclosure Policy is available HERE
I’ve been a pizza fan all my life. Heck, everyone I know loves pizza. How can you not?! As a kid, I loved the pan crust and deep dish crust…the more dough, the better. Eventually I grew out of deep dish, and honestly can’t tell you the last time I had it. I was never really a fan of thin-crust, because it was just too thin and crispy. I do enjoy flatbread, because it has some depth and texture. But to me, the classic, about 3/4″ dough, is my all time favorite.
When I first began to make pizza at home, I bought the Boboli crust and I always had some in the freezer. Then I discovered fresh wheat dough at Whole Foods, and bought that religiously. About 2 years ago I bought a Kitchenaid Mixer, and learned to make my own pizza dough. But the problem is, the Kitchenaid stays in a cabinet above the fridge…out of sight, out of mind.
Last summer I discovered Valley Growers Fig Spread. I’m a big texture eater, and figs were always on my “no” list. However, one bite of the fig spread sold me, and I created several delicious recipes:
I love all 3 recipes, and make them quite often. But I also knew I needed to expand my recipe collection. So I created Bacon Fig Gorgonzola Pizza
How fabulous does this Bacon Fig Gorgonzola Pizza look?! Quite honestly I wasn’t sure how this would taste, because I hadn’t tried these ingredients together before. But one bite, and I was dancing around my kitchen. Most of the ingredients are quite savory, but the fig spread also has a touch of sweet that helps to pull it all together. I didn’t have any fresh basil, but I think that would add another great pop of flavor to the pizza.
When I first put the Bacon Fig Gorgonzola Pizza together, I was concerned that I might need to add seasonings. However, each of the ingredients has enough flavor on their own, that I really didn’t need to add anything else.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE PERFECT BACON FIG GORGONZOLA PIZZA
- Bacon: I use thick cut bacon because…well, because it’s THICK CUT BACON! That’s really the only reason you need. Of course, regular bacon works just as well.
- Fig Spread: the rich fig spread works so well on this pizza. A little goes a long way, but you can use as much or as little as you want. The fig spread is very thick, so I put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds, and then stir it up so it spreads more easily. I do this immediately before adding it to the dough.
- Cheese: I use crumbled gorgonzola, because I love the tart bite. Brie is a great substitute, for a milder and silkier finish
- Onion: I considered caramelized onions, but that’s about a 45-minute process to get them to the right consistency. Instead, I saute them low and slow in a skillet for about 15 minutes until golden
- Baby spinach: I didn’t plan to add spinach, but the pizza needed a pop of bold color. I shredded a few pieces, and added them about halfway through cooking so they wouldn’t burn
There are so many dough choices for this Bacon Fig Gorgonzola Pizza. When I first planned to make the pizza I told myself I would make homemade pizza dough. Then, of course, I forgot. I considered Boboli since I hadn’t had it in ages, but I couldn’t find it in the store. Then I came across mini Naan bread at Target, and knew it would be perfect. You can have 2 mini pizzas per person, because each piece of Naan bread is small enough that you won’t feel sluggish. Another option is one mini pizza and a side salad, but let’s be honest…that’s not nearly as fun.
OPTIONS FOR BACON FIG GORGONZOLA PIZZA
- If you’re following a low carb lifestyle, try Lavash Bread or cauliflower crust instead of Naan or regular pizza dough. If you make this swap, you may need to reduce the amount of cheese and/or fig spread
- Use turkey bacon or Canadian bacon, rather than regular bacon
- Use a whole Naan bread rather than mini, cut into slices when done, and serve as an appetizer
I’m super excited to make this Bacon Fig Gorgonzola Pizza again. It will definitely be a regular on my lunch meal plan rotation
- 4 mini Naan bread (or 2 regular sized Naan)
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons fig spread
- 2 ounces crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 cup baby spinach, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until you reach desired doneness. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Add onion to reserved bacon fat, sprinkle with salt, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook onions for about 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and set aside
- Lay Naan bread on flat surface, and top with crumbled gorgonzola. Spoon fig spread into microwave-safe bowl and warm for 15-20 seconds. Remove, stir, and then spread onto bread. Finish topping with bacon and onions
- Add pizzas to oven. After 8 minutes, top pizzas with spinach. Bake for another 5-7 minutes
- Remove from oven, let rest until it's cool enough for you to pick it up with your hands. ENJOY!