Baked Tortilla Chips are a great way to satisfy your craving for restaurant-style tortilla chips. Fresh tortillas are baked, and ready in under 15 minutes! Make a big batch for a party, or a small batch for an at-home snack.
Within 60 seconds of sitting down at a Mexican restaurant, a bowl of chips appears at the table. Every single time. I’ve never been to a restaurant where they’ve asked first…does that even exist?! I think it’s just an assumption, and nobody ever turns them down.
As much as I love the chips, they are fried, and they usually have a lot of salt. That combination is exactly why we lose all self-control and mindlessly eat the entire basket. And of course, when they ask if you want a refill, it’s almost impossible to say no.
I eat when I get bored, and when I want a snack I go for something with crunch and salt. Which is why I don’t keep chips in the house. I do always have tortillas, and normally just use them for fajitas or soft tacos. But once I realized how easy it was to make my own Baked Tortilla Chips, I decided to give it a try.
My goodness, these Baked Tortilla Chips are fabulous! Baked Tortilla Chips are gluten-free, vegan, and I can make just what I need in under 15 minutes.
KEYS TO THE PERFECT BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS
- Corn Tortillas are best, and you can choose from white corn or yellow corn. I’ve tried them with flour tortillas, but you don’t get the same crunchy texture
- Cut the tortillas before baking them. If you try to cut them afterwards, they will break apart. I’m sure that’s common sense, but it can’t hurt as a reminder! I cut each tortilla into 8 triangles. If you want larger chips, cut them into 4 triangles
- Lightly spray both sides of the tortillas with oil. I’ve tried it with regular Pam, and the chips don’t seem to get as crunchy. So instead, I use Avocado Oil Spray.
- Season the tortillas with salt after the oil, and before baking. If you wait until after they bake, the salt won’t stick. I use Coarse Sea Salt, because I like to see the salt on my chips
- For best results, bake the tortillas on a Baking Sheet. The tortillas will take 7-10 minutes to bake. I always check at 8 minutes. Don’t leave them too long, or you will have burnt tortilla chips
- The tortillas may be just a little chewy in the center when they come out of the oven. That’s okay, because they will finish crisping as they rest.
I always make more Baked Tortilla Chips than I need. See, even when I’m at home I can’t control myself! Taking the extra chips from a restaurant is usually frowned upon. But when you’re at home, put them into a Zip Lock Food Storage Bag, and they will stay fresh for 3-4 days. Honestly though, they probably won’t last that long.
SERVING OPTIONS FOR BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS
Sometimes simple is best, so I usually serve Baked Tortilla Chips with guacamole, salsa, or my Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip. They will also work great as a side for my Crispy Chicken Fajita Wrap. Of course, they are also a perfect snack with any margarita!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? COMMENT AND RATE BELOW, THEN TAKE A PICTURE AND TAG ME ON FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM: @KARYLSKULINARYKRUSADE
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM AND PINTEREST FOR MORE RECIPES!
- 6 White or yellow corn tortillas
- Avocado oil spray
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut tortilla into wedges. I cut mine into eights. Lay individual wedges on baking sheet. Spray one side of tortilla wedges; flip, and spray other side. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt
- Bake in oven for 7-10 minutes. Check after 8 minutes. Don't overcook, or they will burn!
- Remove baking sheet from oven as soon as tortilla chips are done. Carefully transfer tortilla chips to a serving bowl. You may need to use tongs to do this, as the chips will still be really warm. Sprinkle lightly again with sea salt, if desired.
- Store leftover chips in a plastic zip bag. They will stay fresh for about 3 days
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 29Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 707mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Nutrient values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product availability and food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients, etc